Tofu Caprese Skewers
Tofu Caprese Skewers– this EASY vegan appetizer recipe is just like the classic but with tofu instead of mozzarella cheese. So excited for you to try these!
I’m honestly not sure if my Italian heritage would be praising or condemning me for this recipe post. 🤣🍅 We’re going to think positive and say that all plant-based eating Italians are cheering 😜
Either way, I’M ridiculously into this tofu Caprese skewers recipe and I hope that you will be too.
While you could cook the tofu and brown it up a bit on all sides, I elect to simply press out the excess moisture and call it a day. <<<This means that you can have a fun and delicious vegan appetizer ready in just about 15 minutes. DONE.
The idea to replace mozzarella in a recipe with tofu is not my own. I saw a pasta salad recipe recently that traditionally has mozzarella balls in it but the chef replaced it with cubes of tofu. It got me thinking and I realized that there were SO MANY great places that I could use this idea! (caprese pasta salad is coming SOON!)
I kind of want to host a plant based dinner party JUST to serve these fun and delicious little skewers. Who’s in!?
How to make these Tofu Caprese Skewers:
For these skewers, I make a super simple (ie, 1 ingredient) balsamic glaze to drizzle over them before serving. To do this, simple simmer balsamic vinegar over medium low heat for about 12 minutes until it has reduced in half and thickens quite a bit. You could skip this but I don’t recommend it :)
Next up, toss the tofu cubes with a bit of salt and pepper and then assemble the skewers. Place a tomato on a toothpick or skewer and then add a piece of the tofu and a folded basil leaf.
Finally I drizzled a tiny bit of olive oil on each of the skewers and then poured over the balsamic glaze once I was ready to serve.
And that’s it! I hope you make these little appetizers for your next get together (or, ahem, just for fun because they’re delicious!).
As always, if you end up making this recipe, please let me know and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling!
Easy and delicious Caprese skewers made with tofu and a nice drizzle of balsamic glaze!
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 7 ounces of tofu, pressed of excess moisture and cut into 1/2–2/3 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- large handful of basil leaves for serving
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Start by making the balsamic glaze: in a small saucepan, place the cup of balsamic vinegar over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the vinegar has thickened and reduced by half. This takes about 10-12 minutes. Watch careful and set aside when done.
- Toss the tofu cubes with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Assemble the skewers by placing a tomato half, piece of tofu, and a folded basil leaf onto each tooth pick/ skewer.
- When ready to serve, drizzle each skewer with a touch of olive oil and the balsamic glaze and ENJOY!