This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
There’s nothing that I like with my chilis and soups MORE than a good piece of cornbread! Today I’m showing you how to make this super SIMPLE Vegan Cornbread. It comes together in no time and will quickly become your all time favorite cornbread recipe!
Check the bottom of the posts for delicious things to pair this recipe with such as my famous Vegan Chili!
This vegan cornbread is one of the very first vegan recipes that I ever posted on my blog! It originally had whole kernels of corn in and while I still LOVE it that way, I wanted to offer a more basic and classic cornbread recipe.
As per usual when I veganize a recipe, I did my best to keep this as close to the traditional recipe as possible. The main changes include swapping the eggs for flax eggs and the milk for plant based milk (really anything that is unflavored and unsweetened works well here!).
The recipe comes together in 2 bowls: first the dry ingredients are mixed together and then the wet ingredients in a separate bowl before it’s all combined together.
Let’s go over the ingredients for this cornbread:
- Flour– I use all purpose flour but if you’re looking for a gluten free version, I suggest trying to with a gluten free 1-1 flour. I have not tested this at all with almond flour, oat flour, or anything like that.
- Cornmeal– I used a good quality yellow cornmeal in this recipe.
- Sugar– I wanted a sweeter cornbread but you could cut the sugar in half if you want it less sweet (as written, it’s a very subtle sweetness)
- Vegetable oil
- Flax eggs– I used this as a binding agent in place of regular eggs. It’s completely tasteless and works well in this recipe!
- Milk– I’ve tried this with almond milk and oat milk. Really any flavorless and unsweetened milk will work well here.
- Corn kernels– this is completely optional! I didn’t add them in when i photographed the recipe but I’ve tried it with whole corn kernels and it’s SO GOOD! I highly recommend it!
I’m really excited for you to try out this recipe. It’s so ridiculously simple and I know you’re going to love it! I have some good recipes pairings for it down below so make sure to check out those as well!
Tomorrow I’ll be posting an amazing (and NEW!) protein packed chili recipe that goes with this cornbread so well!
Ideas for what to pair this cornbread with:
- Loaded Vegan Chili
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Crockpot Vegan Chili
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Lentil Soup
See the video on how to make the cornbread:Print
This Vegan Cornbread is simple to make and the perfect pairing for chilis and stews or even just to eat on its own!
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of good cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 flax eggs (5 total tablespoons of water mixed with 2 total tablespoons of flaxseed meal)
- 1 cup of unflavored almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of sweet yellow corn (optional)*
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the butter to a skillet and place it in the oven until the butter is just melted but making sure not to burn it at all. Remove from the oven.
- Swirl the butter around so that it fully coats the bottom of the skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the flax eggs, milk, and oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated but being careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in the corn.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and place it into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*This is traditionally made without the corn in it but I’ve made it with corn a few times and LOVE it that way!
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cornbread, vegan bread, vegan side dish