Easy Vegan Hot Chocolate
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This EASY Vegan Hot Chocolate comes together in under 10 minutes, all in one pot, and requires just SIX simple ingredients! There’s nothing that I love more on a cold day than a nice hot cup of hot chocolate and THIS has quickly become my new favorite recipe.
I’ve been on a HUGE hot chocolate kick the past few months. I’m kind of a huge baby about the cold and don’t do very well throughout winter (I really should just move to a perpetually warm and sunny place already). But you know what always makes winter a little more bearable?
This HOMEMADE VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE!
I posted these Vegan Hot Chocolate Bombs a few weeks ago and while they’re truly delicious and so fun to make, they do take a while to put together. So, I love having this option for dairy-free hot chocolate recipe that I can throw together in under 10 minutes.
Let’s quickly walk through this…
Okay, let’s go over the simple ingredients we’re working with:
- Non-dairy milk– I tested this with both almond milk and oat milk and they both turned out great. I’m a huge fan of the thick and creamy texture that oat milk provides and highly suggest giving that a try. I also tried it out by mixing together oat milk with a little but of dairy free creamer to create an ultra-thick texture.
- Cocoa powder– whatever you have is perfect but I highly recommend a good quality cocoa powder.
- Vanilla- I tried this with almond extract as well and LOVED it. For a holiday spin on this recipe, you could also use peppermint extract but I suggest starting with just a couple of drops as it’s very strong.
- Sweetener– The recipe as written calls for coconut sugar but really any sweetener works from brown sugar to maple syrup. You could also try leaving this out all together and adding it in at the end and sweeten to desired taste.
- Chocolate– a love a dark chocolate in this but really anything works. Make sure it’s vegan chocolate it that’s important to you.
- Almond butter– adds a delicious creaminess to the drink but you could also leave this out if you don’t want the extra fat.
How to make Vegan Hot Chocolate:
This is SUPER easy but we’re going to walk through it.
In a small-medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and set over medium heat. Stir continuously as the mixture begins to bubble around the edges, about 4-5 minutes. Cook until the chocolate is fully melted, combined, and the liquid reaches your desired temperature.
Pour into 2 mugs, top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream, and ENJOY!
I’ve found vegan mini-marshmallows at most stores recently but if all else fails, Trader Joes has some really good ones so check there!
Okay, that’s all for today!
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this vegan split pea soup and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).Print
This vegan hot chocolate is SO simple to make and the perfect cold-weather drink to warm you up!
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk (I tested this with almond and oat milk and both were great!)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (vegan as desired)
- 3–4 tablespoons of coconut sugar or other sweetener of your choice (maple syrup would also be great!)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract*
- optional fro serving: vegan marshmallow
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine all ingredients.
- Cook until it begins to bubble around the edges, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Continue to cook until it is heated to your desired temperature and thickened slightly.
- Pour into 2 mugs and serve with optional marshmallows or whipped cream! ENJOY!
*almond or peppermint extract would also taste great! If using peppermint extract, I’d start with just a couple drops to start and add more to taste
- Category: drink
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan hot chocolate, dairy free hot chocolate, vegan drink