Whiskey Smash Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram lately then you know that I’ve been VERY into whiskey cocktails and this Whiskey Smash is my GO TO FAVORITE at the moment.
Today is DAY 1 of my 2020 Spring Cocktail Week where I’ll be sharing 6 amazing cocktails that are great for spring and summer and all made with a few simple ingredients!
I’m not going to lie, I drink summery cocktails YEAR round but it’s always nice when the days get longer and I can really enjoy them even more :D
I’m relatively new to drinking Whiskey Smash cocktails but after trying it at home for the first time a few months ago, I’m HOOKED! Like legit obsessed! It’s the first bourbon cocktail I’ve ever truly loved and I’m excited for you to try it.
I originally wanted to make a whiskey sour until I realized that it traditionally has egg white in it and I just didn’t want to mess with that.
A smash (as opposed the the sour) also has the addition of the mint in it which I LOVE. Mint in cocktails just screams summer to me and for that reason, I have a giant pot of mint growing on our patio :D
Ingredients in a Whiskey Smash:
- Bourbon whiskey
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh lemon (although straight lemon juice would work as well)
- simple syrup (HERE is my 2 ingredient recipe for simple syrup!)
To make the cocktail, simply muddle the lemon and mint in the bottom of a cocktail shaker or glass to release the juice and flavors. Add in the remaining ingredients as well as some ice. Shake about 30 times or until the cocktail is fully combined and nice and cold.
Strain the liquid into a small glass filled with ice and garnish with additional lemon and mint. ENJOY!
Other great cocktails to try:
- Classic Gin and Tonic
- Classic Mojito
- Grapefruit Margaritas
- Bellini- THREE different ways
- Watermelon White Wine Slushie
- Margarita Popsicles
- Mango Wine Slushie
See how to make the Whiskey Smash recipe here:
Learn how to make a simple and classic Whiskey Smash using just 4 simple ingredients!
- 1/2 of a medium lemon, cut into wedges (plus more for garnish)*
- 1 oz of simple syrup
- 2 ounces of bourbon
- 5 mint leaves
- In the bottom of a shaker or glass, muddle the lemon and mint so that you release the juice and flavors.
- Add in the bourbon and simple syrup and then about a cup of ice.
- Cover the top and shake 30 about 30 times.
- Strain into a small glass filled with ice and garnish with extra mint and lemon. ENJOY!
*this ends up being about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Category: cocktail
- Method: shaker
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cocktail, classic cocktail, whiskey smash cocktail