This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
No matter the time of year, I LOVE a good bowl of chili and this Tempeh Chili is my new favorite vegetarian chili right now! This recipe comes together in one pot and makes for AMAZING leftovers!
I am a HUGE fan of tempeh. It’s been one of my favorite ways to replace meat in my diet and we eat it about once a week in our house. I have a roundup of all of my favorite tempeh recipes if you’re looking for some additional inspiration!
I figured that tempeh would be great to put in a chili as a replacement for the ground meat that is traditionally in chili. I LOVE love love how it turned out and can’t wait for you to try it out!
Main ingredients in this chili:
- Beans- I used a can of black beans and dark kidney beans but really anything works!
- Tomato sauce and diced tomatoes
- Broth- I like using the better than bouillon vegetable base!
- Veggies- bell pepper, onion, and garlic. I also love to put in some corn at the end!
That’s it for today’s post. I’m going to keep things simple and brief!
If you’re looking for a good recipe to serve WITH your chili, don’t forget about the VEGAN CORNBREAD that I posted last week! It’s SO GOOD!
See how to make the Tempeh Chili:Print
This tempeh chili is easy to make and so filling!
- 1 package of tempeh (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Using your hands, crumble the tempeh into small pieces. I like to make the pieces about the width of a dime.* Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the oil. Once the oil is warmed, add in the onion and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic and crumbled tempeh and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn the garlic. Mix in the salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne. Stir until combined and cook for an additional minute.
- Mix in the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, and cocoa powder. Increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Once ready to eat, take off of the heat and garnish with some vegan sour cream, green onion, avocado, etc. ENJOY!
*think about how big chunks of beef would be in chili and aim for that size
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: chili
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan chili, tempeh chili, tempeh recipe