Vegan Zucchini Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Vegan Zucchini Soup is creamy, flavorful and comforting! It’s ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes and is super easy to make with onion, garlic, zucchini, potato, coconut cream and fresh rosemary. A healthy, delicious lunch or dinner option that’s quick to make and sure to become a staple in your house!
Deeply flavored, thick, creamy and nutritious vegan zucchini soup is made with good-for-you ingredients like plenty of veggies, vegetable stock, and coconut cream. It’s also naturally vegan and gluten free. We are absolutely in love with this soup!
While I enjoy zucchini a ridiculous amount — in savory or sweet applications (this zucchini bread is my favorite), I wasn’t sure how great a zucchini soup would turn out.
Well, I’m convinced, zucchini can make one show-stopping soup! It’s proof that the simplest ingredients brought together can create something perfectly delicious, well balanced in flavor, and just simply satisfying.
And you’ll love the smooth texture of this soup, it’s perfectly sip-able and cozy as can be! I’ve been enjoying it for lunch with crusty sourdough bread for dipping. Talk about delicious!
Vegan Zucchini Soup Ingredients & Substitutions:
Nothing fancy or complicated in this soup! It’s made with simple, everyday ingredients, but when they come together in one pot, magic happens! Here is what you need:
- Olive oil allows the onion to caramelize without burning or sticking to the pan. Feel free to swap your favorite cooking oil.
- I love the flavor of sweet onion with zucchini, but leeks or shallots would also be delicious in this soup.
- Garlic is a great flavor to pair with zucchini. If your garlic cloves are small, feel free to add a few more!
- Fresh rosemary adds a lovely earthiness to the soup.
- Zucchini are the star of the soup! I kept the skins on for added color and flavor.
- The potato helps thicken the soup. I highly recommend using a yukon gold potato as they result in the creamiest soup, but a russet potato will work too.
- Vegetable stock adds tons of flavor to the soup, as well. I recommend using a low sodium stock or even broth, so you can season it however you like.
- Dried bay leaf adds depth of flavor to the soup. Just make sure to remove it before you puree the soup!
- Coconut cream adds extra creaminess to the soup. Make sure you’re using unsweetened!
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Soup:
Making this nourishing soup is simple and straightforward! Everything is cooked in one pot and other than some veggie chopping and then blending, zucchini soup takes very little effort to whip up. Here’s a quick rundown of the instructions, but for full instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Sauté veggies. Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion, and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
- Boil soup. Next, add the zucchini, potato, vegetable stock, and bay leaf. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potato and zucchini are fork tender.
- Blend soup. Remove the bay leaf and add the coconut cream. Use an immersion blender (or a high speed blender) to puree the soup until it is your desired texture. I like my soup pretty smooth so I puree it on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for dunking!
Should You Peel Zucchini for Zucchini Soup?
Unpeeled zucchini, when thoroughly washed and scrubbed (to remove any debris or dirt) are perfectly safe and delicious to eat. Especially since this zucchini soup is blended, no one will be the wiser if the zucchini wasn’t peeled before being cooked.
If you’d like to peel the zucchini, go right ahead. But just FYI, research indicates that the skin of the zucchini contains the highest levels of antioxidants.
What to Serve with Vegan Zucchini Soup:
This soup can be eaten on its own as a meal or as a side. Here’s some delicious pairing options:
- Grilled cheese (a classic!)
- Crusty bread
And if you’d like to add some toppings, try:
- Sour cream or yogurt (vegan, as needed)
- Fresh herbs
- Shredded cheese (vegan, as needed)
- Cracker crumbles
Pro tip: To create the swirl on top, I used plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt diluted with oat milk until pourable.
Make Ahead + Storage Recommendations
- Make ahead. You can save time by chopping the veggies up to 1 day in advance. Store them in an airtight container or sealed baggie, in the refrigerator.
- Leftovers. Store leftover vegan zucchini soup in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Reheat. Warm up leftover soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Add additional vegetable stock (or broth) as needed to thin the soup. You can also rewarm this soup in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Loaded Vegan Chili
- Crockpot Taco Chickpea Soup
- Roasted Acorn Squash Soup
- Creamy Lentil Soup
- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this vegan zucchini soup and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).Print
Creamy, flavorful and comforting, Vegan Zucchini Soup is ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes. It’s super easy to make with onion, garlic, zucchini, potato, coconut cream and fresh rosemary. A healthy, delicious lunch or dinner option that’s sure to become a staple in your house!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 large zucchini, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (5.3 ounce) can unsweetened coconut cream, well stirred
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion, and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
- Next add the zucchini, potato, vegetable stock, and bay leaf. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potato and zucchini are fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the coconut cream. Use an immersion blender (or a high speed blender) to puree the soup until it is your desired texture. I like my soup pretty smooth so I puree it on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
To create the swirl on top, I used plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt diluted with oat milk until pourable, but that is completely optional!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini soup, vegan zucchini soup