Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bringing you major warm, cozy and comforting vibes with our favorite Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes! These are the most creamy, flavorful mashed potatoes and I know they will be your new favorite side dish. So easy too! This mashed potato recipe requires no boiling, simply add chopped potatoes to your slow cooker with water and broth and let the magic happen.
In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a tasty potato side dish! Potatoes just seem to complete any meal and these slow cooker mashed potatoes are some of the best potatoes I’ve ever had, and your friends and family are sure to agree.
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish for large gatherings, parties, and holidays (or during 2020- small family dinners with lots of delicious leftovers!). I serve them for pretty much every holiday!
Ingredients for Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Water & broth. Liquid is needed for keeping the potatoes nice and moist as they cook. Using broth makes these potatoes super flavorful.
- Russet potatoes. The base of this potato dish is, of course, russet potatoes!
- Salt & pepper. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and then add more, plus pepper to taste.
- Non dairy milk. For smooth and creamy mashed potatoes. You can use 2% milk as desired but I usually use almond or oat milk
- Mayo. Most people opt for sour cream but my secret ingredient is vegan mayo. It makes the mashed potatoes ultra-creamy and delish.
- Butter. You simply can’t have mashed potatoes without butter (I like to use the miyokos vegan butter in this dish!).
How do you make crock pot mashed potatoes?
This is probably the easiest side dish ever! And it’s perfect for the holidays because you won’t be using up any precious oven or stovetop space.
Start by adding peeled and chopped chunks of potato into the slow cooker with water and broth. Cook on high for 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Once done, put the slow cooker on the “warm” setting. Drain the liquid from the potatoes and place them back into the slow cooker. Add in all of the remaining ingredients (the warmth from the potatoes will melt the butter) and mash the potatoes either using a potato masher OR using a hand mixer. You can leave them on the warm setting while you prepare the rest of your meal OR enjoy immediately.
What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
I like to use russet potatoes when making mashed potatoes. Russet potatoes have a high starch content, which makes them fluffy and smooth when mashed. They also have great flavor when paired with a little butter! Yukon Gold potatoes also work great. I don’t recommend using waxy potatoes, such as red potatoes or fingerling potatoes, as the overall texture will not be as good.
Do you have to peel potatoes before cooking?
To peel or not peel potatoes for this crock pot mashed potatoes recipe comes down to personal preference, but I highly recommend peeling the potatoes to ensure the smoothest texture and best flavor. If you like the texture the peel adds to mashed potatoes, feel free to leave it on.
Tips for the Perfect Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Try to cut the potatoes into similar-sized pieces for more even cooking.
- After adding the potatoes to the slow cooker with the water and broth, make sure the water is fully covering the potatoes. Add more water as needed.
- The easiest way to mash potatoes is with a potato masher. Another method is to use a hand mixer to beat the potatoes. I do not recommend using a food processor. You will end up with potatoes that have an unpleasant, gummy texture.
- You can make these mashed potatoes up to 3 days ahead of time. When you’re ready to eat them, reheat on the stovetop or in a covered baking dish in the oven. You may want to add a bit more milk to the potatoes to bring the creaminess back.
- Mashed potatoes freeze well and keep for up to 2 months in an airtight freezer-safe container.
More delicious side dishes:
Give these potatoes a try and I know they’ll be your new favorite! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog!
These Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes are the most creamy, flavorful mashed potatoes and I know they will be your new favorite side dish. So easy too!
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of broth (I used veggie broth but you can use chicken if you prefer)
- 4 pounds of russet potatoes, washed, peeled and chopped into about 6 pieces each*
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of non-dairy milk
- ½ cup of vegan mayo
- ⅓ cup of vegan butter, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water and the broth in the slow cooker and turn it on to your desired heat (low if you’re cooking for 6 hours, high if you’re cooking for 3 hours). Add in another cup of water if the potatoes aren’t fully covered.
- Clean and peel the potatoes. Chop them into large pieces and place into the slow cooker with the liquid.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once done, put the slow cooker on the “warm” setting. Drain the liquid from the potatoes and place them back into the slow cooker.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients (the warmth from the potatoes will melt the butter) and mash the potatoes either using a potato masher OR using a hand mixer.
- Leave on the warm setting while you prepare the rest of your meal OR enjoy immediately.
*you can use other potatoes but I love this recipe with russet
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crock pot mashed potatoes, slow cooker mashed potatoes