This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This sweet, silky, and irresistible Vegan Caramel is easy to make with just 4 key ingredients. Use this homemade vegan caramel sauce as a fruit dip or drizzle it on your favorite desserts, French toast, or even fun milkshakes and so much more! An impressive treat that’s ready in just 10 minutes – add a sprinkle of sea salt and a shot of bourbon to really make this caramel sauce special!
Luscious and sweet, this vegan caramel is calling your name! Words cannot even begin to describe my love for this caramel sauce. It’s SO good drizzled over vanilla ice cream with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt. However, it’s also pretty great just by itself, eaten by the spoonfuls, and you might just find yourself doing that. Not like I know anything about that…
As an added plus, this vegan caramel recipe is so quick and easy to whip up! I made it in less than ten minutes, no candy thermometer required! You basically just throw everything into a pot and boil. So simple. In fact, I don’t think I’ll ever buy store-bought caramel sauce again. Homemade is so much more delicious!
Is caramel vegan?
This version of caramel is naturally vegan because we’re using coconut cream. Regular caramel is made with milk or heavy cream, so it’s definitely not vegan. You will love that this vegan version is made with wholesome ingredients and actually tastes even more decadent and wonderful than your typical caramel sauce! And for those of you that aren’t fans of coconut flavor, this caramel sauce does NOT taste coconut-y AT ALL. It’s perfectly caramel-y and sweet!
Ingredients for vegan caramel:
This easy vegan caramel recipe is made with just 4 key ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. I love to add a shot of bourbon and a bit of sea salt for the most amazing flavor. Here’s everything you need:
- Brown sugar. I prefer light brown sugar, but either light or dark works. Using brown sugar as the sweetener gives the caramel a lovely rich depth of flavor.
- Cornstarch. To make the vegan caramel perfectly thick and creamy.
- Coconut cream. Note that this recipe uses coconut cream, which is not the same as coconut milk. Coconut cream is much thicker and richer and will yield the best results.
- Vanilla extract. Do NOT forget the vanilla. And use pure vanilla extract, not imitation. It’s worth it!
- Bourbon. Just 1 shot of bourbon is optional, but highly recommended!
- Sea salt. A small amount of sea salt creates that irresistible sweet and salty combination.
How to make vegan caramel:
Don’t be intimidated, caramel sauce is actually really easy to make! Here’s the delicious details:
- Combine. Stir together the brown sugar, cornstarch, and coconut cream over medium heat. Any small lumps of sugar and cornstarch will dissolve as the mixture heats up.
- Boil. Whisk frequently and bring the mixture to a light boil. Cook for about 2 minutes and until the sugar has fully dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, or until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat. Once removed from the heat, immediately stir in the vanilla, salt, and bourbon (if using).
- Cool slightly and serve. Once the sauce starts to cool it will thicken up. If it gets too thick, microwave it for about 30 seconds. Use when warm, or transfer the caramel to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Ways to use this caramel:
There are so many delicious ways to use vegan caramel, and below are some of our favorites:
- As a fruit dip
- In my Caramel Apple Smoothie
- Drizzled on top of these Caramel Apple Nachos
- As a milkshake topping
- Drizzled on dessert pizza
- Drizzled on apple pie, apple turnovers, apple crisp, or apple pie rolls or basically just any and all apples!
How to store vegan caramel:
Store this easy vegan caramel recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
To reheat. Once this vegan caramel cools, it will harden. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply reheat it over low heat or microwave it for about 30 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this vegan caramel! As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and let me know how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).Print
Sweet, silky, irresistible vegan caramel is easy to make with just 4 key ingredients. Use this homemade vegan caramel sauce as a fruit dip or drizzle it on your favorite desserts, French toast, or even fun milkshakes and so much more! An impressive treat that’s ready in just minutes – add a sprinkle of sea salt and a shot of bourbon to really make this caramel sauce special!
- 1 cup brown sugar (light brown is my preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional but highly recommended: 1 shot bourbon
- Optional: Sea salt, to taste
- Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and coconut cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. You may have some small lumps of sugar and cornstarch but they’ll dissolve as it heats up.
- Whisking frequently, bring the mixture to a light boil. Cook until the sugar has fully dissolved- about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, or until it starts to thicken slightly. If you have a candy thermometer, it should be just below the soft ball point. It will still be a bit runny at this point but will thicken up to traditional caramel thickness as it cools.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and immediately add the vanilla, salt, and bourbon (if using). Transfer the caramel to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use. This caramel will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Reheat the caramel in small batches in the microwave– about 30 seconds works great.
Coconut cream is the solid white part that settles on the top of coconut milk— make sure to use it, not the liquid below.
This caramel will become hard as it cools— just reheat it in the microwave as necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan, caramels, dessert, candy, sauce