Easy Apple Turnovers
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Easy Apple Turnover recipe is so simple and a great way to use up your extra apples! The crust is a simple store bought puff pastry and the filling comes together all in one pot with a handful of simple ingredients!
I teased these apple turnovers on my instagram a couple of weeks ago and I’m not sure that I have EVER received more messages asking for a recipe! Y’all are VERY enthusiastic about apple turnovers and I love it so much.
So, without further ado, let me present to you the easiest and MOST DELICIOUS apple turnovers that you will ever make at home:
What makes this recipe so EASY you might ask? 2 things:
- Puff pastry! Yes, we’re using puff pastry for the dough. It’s simple and easy and conveniently vegan.
- One pot apple filling: the apple filling all comes together in ONE pot making the turnovers so so easy to throw together.
So excited to hear what you think of these. I’ve made them QUITE a few times this apple season and we eat them so quickly EACH time.
How to make apple turnovers:
As I’ve mentioned several times now, these turnovers are so ridiculously simple to make!
Start out by making the filling. In a medium saucepan, combine all of the filling ingredients and cook over medium heat until the apples are softened and the sauce has thickened up, about 8 minutes.
Taking one sheet of puff pastry, roll it out so that it’s about 12″ x 12″ and then cut it into 4 even squares. Top each square with the apple filling, dividing it evenly among the 4 sheets of puff pastry.
Brush milk along the edges of the dough and then gently fold the puff pastry over to form a triangle and seal the sides together. Crimp the edges with a fork, cut a few slits in the top, and brush the tops with a bit more of the plant based milk.
Place the turnovers on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes to get the dough a nice and golden brown.
This is totally optional but I also made a simple glaze to drizzle over the tops for a touch of added sweetness. So not necessary but legit SO good :)
ALRIGHT that’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a quick photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always LOVE to see what you’re making from the blog.
See how to make the Apple Turnovers here:
More Vegan Desserts to try:
Easy and delicious vegan apple turnovers!
- 2 tablespoons of butter (vegan as desired)
- 4 medium apples, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar (coconut sugar would also work well!)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Pinch of all spice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Milk of choice for brushing (about 2 tablespoons)
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the apple filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once fully melted, add in the chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and cornstarch. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes. You want the apples to be tender and the sauce rather thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet so that it’s about 12″ x 12″. Cut it into 4 6-inch squares. (see video above for reference)
- Evenly divide the apple filling among the 4 pieces of puff pastry placing it in the middle of each sheet.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the milk and then fold the dough over the apple filling so that it creates a triangle. Press the edges together to ensure that they’re fully sealed. Crimp the edges with a fork and place the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut a few small slits in the top of the turnovers and brush the tops evenly with the milk. Optional: sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are a nice golden brown. Let cool slightly and ENJOY!
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan desserts, vegan apple turnovers, easy apple turnovers