Strawberry Salty Dog Cocktail
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It’s summer cocktail season and up first is this FROZEN Strawberry Salty Dog cocktail that you’re going to LOVE. It’s simple to make (love a good blender cocktail) and it’s perfectly refreshing for warmer days!
Last spring I did a FULL ON cocktail week and while I haven’t had time to put together another one for this year, I do have a lot of cocktails in mind that I want to share. First up is this Frozen Strawberry Salty Dog! It’s similar to a greyhound but with a salt rimmed glass (YUM!).
You could leave the Strawberries out and make this as a simple cocktail (no blender needed) but I HIGHLY recommend giving the frozen version a try on the next HOT day. I promise that you won’t regret it!
Ingredients we’re working with:
- Grapefruit juice: I really like using freshly squeezed juice BUT store bought will work just fine and is admittedly much easier :)
- Fresh or frozen strawberries: at the time that I’m writing this, it’s PEAK strawberry season but in the off season, you can easily use frozen strawberries in this recipe.
- Vodka OR Gin: I’m pretty much always on team gin but really either will work well in this cocktail.
- Ice: for maximum slushiness
- Salt for the rim: which is truly what makes this cocktail unique
Salty Dog v Greyhound
A salty dog and a greyhound are pretty much the same thing with the one exception that for this cocktail, we’re going to rim the glass with salt. Hence the SALTY dog.
It’s the weekend so I’m going to keep things BRIEF today. Go make yourself a cocktail and enjoy the weekend :)
As usual, please let me know if you end up making this cocktail and how you like it! You can come back here to leave a comment or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog!
- 1 cup of grapefruit Juice
- ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 4 ounces Vodka
- 2 cups Ice
- Salt for the rim
- Salt the rims of two cocktail classes of choice. You will do this by placing a small amount of water in a shallow dish and placing margarita salt on a separate plate. Gently dip the rim of your glass into the water, and then coat with the salt. Set aside.
- Add ice to your blender along with the grapefruit juice, strawberries, and vodka. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the frozen drink into two prepared glasses. Garnish with a strawberry, lemon wheel or a sprig of Thyme. Enjoy!
- Can I sub out frozen strawberries for fresh?: Yes! The frozen berries may even make it more slushie!
- Although a traditional salty dog uses vodka, light rum or gin would also be a tasty addition.
- Category: cocktail
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: frozen cocktail, strawberry cocktail, salty dog cocktail