Classic Mojito Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hopefully y’all know by now HOW MUCH I love a good Classic Mojito Cocktail! It comes together in a few quick minutes and with FIVE simple ingredients.
This is DAY 2 of our Spring 2020 Cocktail Week and it’s a GOOD ONE! You can click HERE to check out ALL of the summer inspired cocktails that I posted this week!
Nothing says summer MORE than a nice cold Mojito in my hand. It’s the ultimate summer cocktail in our house and I find myself drinking them on a weekly basis.
I like to keep a big pot of mint growing on our patio JUST so that I have an abundance ready for cocktail making :D
What’s in a Mojito:
- White rum– technically you could use regular rum but white rum is traditional in this drink and gives it it’s classic clear color.
- Club soda or sparkling water– traditionally, mojitos are topped with club soda. However, over the years of making this, I often find myself reaching for a simple can of sparkling water instead. It gives the cocktail that same bubble taste and texture and I almost always have it on hand (club soda- not so much)
- Simple syrup– I have a whole post on how to make simple syrup with several different sweeteners including honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, white sugar and more! Check out that post and decide which kind of sugar works for you. The whole process is super simple and requires just TWO simple ingredients.
- Mint– just a few leaves is all you need to get that delicious minty flavor that’s classic to a mojito! You could also try making mint simple syrup.
- Lime juice– this can be freshly squeezed or from a bottle (like, legit just use what you have on hand!). For added flavor, I like to add the limes directly into the shaker and muddle them in with the mint to release the juice that way. You get a little extra lime flavor from a bit of the zest that will come out as well. SO GOOD!
Here are a few ideas for how you can switch things up and create different flavored mojitos:
- Berry mojito: add in some strawberries, blackberries etc and muddle them together with the mint.
- Lemon Mojito: swap the lime for lemon instead if you prefer that flavor or only have that on hand.
- Lavender Mojito: use a flavored syrup to mix things up a bit
- Frozen Mojito: Add all of the ingredients plus a cup or 2 of ice into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth!
More delicious cocktails to try:
- Lavender Mojito
- Boozy Frozen Lemonade
- Ginger Beer Mojito
- Gin and Tonic
- Bellini 3 ways
- Whiskey Smash
- Mango Wine Slushie
- Classic Aperol Spritz
- White Russian
- Vodka Lemonade
- Grapefruit Margaritas
See how to make the Mojito recipe here:
How to make a CLASSIC Mojito recipe just in time for summer!
- 2 ounces of white rum
- 1/2 of a medium lime, juiced (about 1 1/2– 2 tablespoons/ 3/4 oz of juice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (3/4 oz) of simple syrup
- 5 mint leaves
- Club soda or sparkling water to top
- Garnish: additional mint + lime wedges
- In a cocktail shaker or tall glass, muddle together the mint and lime juice.*
- Add in the simple syrup, rum, and ice. Cover and shake about 30 times or until the liquid is cold and fully combined.
- Strain into a tall glass filled with ice and top with the club soda. Garnish and enjoy!
*Often when I’m feeling a little lazy, I throw the un-juiced lime half into the shaker with the mint and muddle it to release the flavors and juice.
- Category: cocktail
- Method: shaker
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cocktail, mojito cocktail, summer cocktail