Cherry Crumble Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Is there any pie better than a good ole Cherry Crumble Pie!? I think not and this one is easy to make (no top lattice crust to fiddle with) AND it’s fully vegan!
Can you tell that I’m a bit cherry obsessed this year!? There are SO MANY good cherry farms here in Oregon and they’re in great abundance at all of the stores. SO, I’ve been finding all kinds of ways to use them.
And of course, I really wanted a good, vegan, Cherry Pie recipe on the blog. Ta-da:
Here’s the thing about pie, sometimes I’m in the mood to go all out on baking and do a fancy lattice crust. But, more often than not, I do NOT have patience for fiddling with the top crust. AND in walks this delicious and buttery crumble topping:
First of all, I LOVE love love how delicious this topping is. It’s minimally sweet (which is good considering how sweet the filling is) AND it’s so super easy to mix together in a bowl and quickly crumble on top of the pie. I adore that crumble for saving me all the time of having to deal with a lattice crust (as pretty as they may be :)).
For the bottom crust, I used my Vegan Pie Crust recipe. I also have a coconut oil pie crust recipe if that’s of interest to you. And if all else fails, there’s nothing wrong with a good ole store bought pie crust to keep things extra simple and easy!
Ingredients in this simple cherry pie:
- Fresh cherries– I know that I’m going to get asked if you can use frozen cherries and the answer is “I don’t think so”. I’ve never tried it in this recipe so I can’t say for sure. I think that it might end up in a runny pie from the excess moisture in the frozen fruit.
- Bottom crust– see above or in the recipe card for my crust recommendations
- Crumble topping– this consists of flour, sugar, butter, and some cinnamon. Simple and delicious!
That’s all I have for today! If you end up making this recipe, please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what y’all are making from the blog.
More vegan pies and cakes to try:
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Perfect Vegan Pie Crust
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Apple Pie
- No Bake Peach Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake
- See how to make the Cherry Crumble Pie here:
This Cherry Crumble pie is fully vegan and so super simple to make! Perfect for peak cherry season or even with frozen cherries!
For the pie:
- 1 bottom crust such as this VEGAN PIE CRUST or this COCONUT OIL PIE CRUST*
- 5 1/2 cups of pitted fresh cherries, halved*
- 2/3 cup cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 4 tbs of sugar (I use cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted (vegan as needed)
- Prepare your pie crust: roll it out so that it fits into a greased 9″ pie pan. Crimp the edges or simple fold them under. Place the crust into the fridge to cool while you prepare the rest.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir until the cornstarch mostly dissolves. Place the filling in the fridge while you prepare the topping.
- Make the topping by combining the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and the butter. Stir with a fork until fully combined.
- Assemble the pie by pouring the cherry mixture into the prepared crust. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top of the pie. I like to leave a little empty space around the crust so that the pie filling can bubble up a little but that is not necessary.
- To prevent spilling in the oven, put the pie on a large baking sheet (I usually line my baking sheet with a silpat mat to prevent slipping but that is not necessary). Bake for 20 minutes. Leaving the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, let cool for 3+ hours. I usually let mine cool on the counter until I can safely handle the pan and then transfer it to the fridge. This is essential to firm up the pie otherwise it will be very runny.
- ENJOY! Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days!
*For the crust: most crust recipes (like the 2 that I linked) make a bottom AND a top crust. We only need a bottom crust for this recipe.
*For the cherries: I have not tried this with frozen cherries and fear that the excess liquid would not work well with this particular recipe.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 409
- Sugar: 45.4 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 76.3 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan pie, vegan cherry pie, cherry crumble pie