Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake is officially your new GO TO easy cake recipe! It comes together in no time and the combo of cherry + chocolate is so deliciously decadent while still being simple to make.
GUYS! I’m not exaggerating when I say that this might be my NEW favorite recipe on the blog!
OMG the chocolate + cherry combo is BOMB and you need to make this like TODAY. Or at least, before cherry season is over :D
Since moving to Portland last year, we’ve been delighted to learn that berry season is STRONG in Oregon. And despite everything happening in the world, we’ve been doing our best to enjoy every last bit of it. We were able to go strawberry picking last month and in the next week or 2, we’re hoping to make it to a farm for some good cherry picking.
In the meantime, I’e had very lovely neighbors sharing their cherry stash with me and you’ll never hear me complaining about that!
I’ve discovered several new varieties of cherries here in Oregon that I’ve never had before and they’re ALL so GOOD.
Personally, I LOVE the cherry + chocolate combo SO SO much. However, the cherries truly are the real hero of this cake. If so desired, you could leave out the chocolate and instead add in more cherries. I haven’t actually tried that but might soon since I currently have a LARGE abundance of cherries in my fridge.
Making this recipe is as simple as mixing together the dry ingredients and then the wet before combining it ALL into one big bowl. Then the cherries and chocolate is folded in and you’re nearly done!
For the topping, we’re making a basic crumble mixture that will be sprinkled all over the top of the cake batter before it’s baked.
Once made, we store the cake in an air tight container on the counter top. It stays good for a few days but is unlikely to make it that long without being completely eaten first :)
I originally made this as a post-dinner dessert but ended up eating it as breakfast AND as a snack. So, really anything goes. It is a COFFEE cake afterall and what better way to enjoy it than first thing in the morning with a nice cup of coffee? Are you sold yet?
GO MAKE THIS CAKE OMG IT’S SO GOOD!
If you end up making this vegan coffee cake, PLEASE snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always love to see what you’re making and how you like my recipes.
More Vegan Desserts you’ll love:
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Raspberry Crumble Bars
- PB&J Thumbprint Cookies
- Vegan Skillet Cookies
- Peach Cobbler
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Pie Crust
- Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Baked Donuts
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
See how to make the cake here:Print
Chocolate Cherry Vegan Coffee Cake is simple to make and so ridiculously delicious! It’s great as dessert, breakfast, or even just a mid-day snack.
For the bottom layer:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cane sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (or other similar tasteless oil)
- 1/2 cup of plant baked milk
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (you can use white vinegar if thats what you have)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract (vanilla also works)
- 1 heaping cup of fresh cherries, pitted and halved*
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (really anything works here, chips or chunks, vegan if necessary)
For the top layer:
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of cane sugar
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9″ round cake pan (you can also use square) with parchment paper for easy removal and grease the paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda + powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: plant based milk, oil, vinegar, and extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until just combined.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the topping: flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vegan butter. Mix together until fully combined.
- Using your hands, crumble the topping over the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown color and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. let cool slightly and ENJOY!
*I haven’t tried it but I also think that this would work well with frozen berries
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 38.1 g
- Sodium: 351.9 mg
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 67.3 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan baking, vegan cake, cherry cake