Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Hopefully y’all know by now HOW MUCH I love a good stuffed sweet potato :D It’s been quite a while since I post a recipe like this so I figured that today I would share this Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe that I have been LOVING lately!
If you’re looking for more delicious sweet potato recipes like this one then I highly recommend these Black Bean stuffed sweet potatoes, guacamole stuffed sweet potatoes AND these BREAKFAST stuffed sweet potatoes.
When I originally had the idea for this recipe, I thought that sweet potato and chickpeas might be a little weird together. However, I figured I’d give it a try since I love the black bean version of this recipe SO MUCH!
Turns out, chickpeas mixed with sweet potato is AMAZING and I am definitely going to be eating this a lot more from now on! I mixed in a large handful of arugula with mine but really any leafy green would work well here. I’ve also tried it with spinach and plan to try it soon with kale as well.
In case you’re wondering what the white sauce is that I drizzled on top, I actually made a makeshift vegan crema by combining tofutti sour cream (which I recently discovered that I love after a friend served me some), salt, pepper, and a little bit of lime juice. SO GOOD!
This would TOTALLY make a great meal prep recipe, too! I made 4 of these when I was testing the recipe and saved all of the leftovers. If you’re meal prepping it, I suggest cooking everything and then storing the sweet potato separate from the chickpea mixture. When you’re ready to serve, just heat everything up and then serve the chickpeas over top of the potato. Super simple and seriously SO GOOD!
Ingredients we’re working with here:
- Sweet potatoes– duh 🍠
- Chickpeas– I used a can of chickpeas that I drained, rinsed and then patted dry. However, you can obviously cook some dried beans first if that’s what you have lying around.
- Spices– you can get creative here but I used cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Greens– for the photos, I used arugula because we had some left over and I thought it might taste nice. The times that I made this before, however, I used spinach. I think kale would also work well in this recipe!
And that’s about it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, PLEASE please snap a photo and tag me on Instagram! I always love to see the recipes you’re cooking from my blog!!
More delicious sweet potato recipes to try:
- Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Guacamole Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Chickpea & Sweet Potato Curry
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Chili
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of lightly packed greens (I’ve tried this with spinach as well as arugula)
- Cook your sweet potatoes: you can do this in an INSTANT POT or in the oven. To cook them in an oven, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Stab each sweet potato a few times around with a fork and place them on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. The time depends on the thickness of your potatoes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once hot, add in the garlic, chickpeas, cumin, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the greens and continue to cook, stirring often, until the greens are wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When ready to serve, cut the center of the potatoes open and mash the inside. Divide the chickpea mixture evenly among the potatoes. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed and ENJOY!
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: stuffed sweet potatoes, vegan sweet potatoes, stuffed recipe