Spicy Tofu Burritos
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Spicy Tofu Burritos are simple to make, easily adjustable to suite your taste, and great for easy weeknight meals and meal-prep! I love to keep a big batch of these in my freezer to throw in the oven for super lazy (and healthy!) meals. The sofritas in the burritos gives them so much flavor and I know you’re going to love these!
I’m taking a quick break from holiday recipes to share these Spicy Tofu Burritos! Considering how much I LOVE TOFU, it’s been a while since I shared a new tofu recipe.
SO, I’m here to fix that today!
And OMG how saucy and delicious do these burritos look!!?
For this recipe, we’re using my copycat Chipotle Sofritas recipe and turning it into BURRITOS! When going to Chipotle, I use to ONLY get burritos but in my adult years I’ve found myself going 50/50 for burritos and burrito bowls. Do you have a favorite??
Once you make the sofritas, it simply a matter of adding all of the ingredients to your tortillas and wrapping them up.
Obviously you can use whatever toppings you’d prefer but I went with a hefty portion of guacamole, some lettuce + tomatoes, and a bit of sour cream. Obviously you can use vegan sour cream if you wish!
If you need help in figuring out how to properly wrap your burrito, watch my video to see how I do it. I simply tuck in the sides and then roll from one end to the other. I usually let my fingers get a bit dirty in the process so that I can properly tuck everything in the tortilla. NO ONE wants burrito fillings spilling all over them!
These burritos are also GREAT for meal-prep! You can make a big batch of them and then throw them in the freezer to eat later. If you do so, you might consider leaving out fillings such as the guacamole and lettuce then just adding those in/ on top once they’ve been reheated. Warmed up guacamole isn’t the best taste :)
ALRIGHT that’s it for today! As always, if you end up making this recipe, please snap a quick photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling! I always LOVE to see what you’re making from the blog.
More tofu recipes you’ll love:
See how to make the Spicy Tofu Burritos here:
These Tofu Burritos are simple and easy to make PLUS they’re great for meal prep! Throw them in the freezer for lazy meals later!
For the sofritas:
- 14 ounce block of extra firm tofu, pressed* (See my guide on pressing tofu HERE)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of finely diced onion
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce
- ½ cup of broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic
For the burritos:
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 2 cups of loosely packed Lettuce of choice
- ¼– ½ cup of Sour cream- vegan as desired
- 1 cup of tomatoes, diced (I used cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- Optional other fillings: refried beans, rice, black beans, salsa, etc
For the sofritas:
- Prep the tofu: Drain your block of tofu and press it for about 15 minutes (either using a tofu press or following the directions in the notes*). Once pressed, pat dry and break into chunks (I usually do this into a large bowl) about the size of a quarter. When in doubt, I aim for slightly larger than I want as it usually breaks up a bit in the cooking process.
- Make the sauce: in a stand mixer or blender, combine the adobo pepper, adobo sauce, broth, tomato paste, maple syrup, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar, and garlic cloves. Blend until creamy and few chunks remain.
- Cook the sofritas: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add in the onion and tofu chunks. Spread it into an even layer and let sit, without, stirring, for about 2-3 minutes. Stir and repeat this a few times (cooking for a total of about 8-10 minutes). You want to get the tofu nice and browned but watch that it’s not burning at all. Turn down the heat if it’s starting to burn.
- Add in the sofritas sauce that you made and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes so that it’s heated through.
For the burritos:
- Assemble the burritos: lay out your 4 tortillas and divide the sofritas evenly among the tortillas. Divide all of the burrito ingredients (guacamole, lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes, etc) evenly among the tortillas, placing everything right in the center.
- Tuck the sides in and roll the burritos up (see video for reference). Serve and enjoy!
To freeze the burritos:*
- Wrap the burritos in tin foil and place them in an air tight container. Freeze and enjoy within a few months.
- To reheat: you can reheat the burritos by microwaving them for a few minutes OR baking them at 400 degrees F until warmed through (about 10-15 minutes).
*To press your tofu without a tofu press, wrap it in a lint free kitchen towel (or paper towels) and place it on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch the excess liquid. Balance a heavy skillet on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy such as a few cans. Let it sit like this for 15 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible.
*If you’re planning to freeze the burritos, you may want to leave out the sour cream and simply add it on right before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Burritos
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan burritos, spicy tofu, healthy tofu