Tofu Fish Sticks
Tofu Fish Sticks– easy to make tofu sticks that are flavored to give them a “fishy” tasty. These are super simple to make and SO fun for kids!
As promised when I post the Vegan tartar sauce recipe earlier this week, I’m back with a delicious vegan recipe to serve it with :D You know that I’ve been very into tofu recipes and this is one of my new favorites.
I’ve seen several times where people used nori seaweed sheets to give plant based recipes a fishy tasty and I loved the idea. So, I figured it would be fun to try it as a breading for tofu to make tofu fish sticks. I absolutely love how these turned out and I’m excited for you to try them.
To make these fish sticks, I cut the tofu into thin slices roughly the size of traditional fish sticks. Those then get tossed in a little flour and then in some plant based milk (with a few other things mixed in as well).
For the breading, I used a kind of traditional bread crumb breading with the addition of crumbled up nori seaweed sheets. The seaweed is just enough to give the tofu a bit of a fishy taste without it being overwhelming at all and I love it for that!
If you wanted to make these gluten free, you could simply use almond flour (or a 1-1 gluten free blend) and gluten free bread crumbs.
Once the tofu is breaded, they’re simply baked in the oven for about 30 minutes until they form a nice and crispy crust on the outside. I tried pan frying this with little luck as a lot of the breading wanted to stick to and fall off in the pan.
AND that’s it! Super easy, right? I ate an embarrassingly large plate of these :D
And don’t forget to make THIS homemade vegan tartar sauce to go with the fish sticks!
See how to make the Tofu Fish Sticks here:
Easy and delicious Vegan Fish sticks that are kid friendly!
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed of excess moisture
- 1/4 cup of plant based milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons of crumbled nori seaweed sheets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoons sweet or smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly spray a large baking tray.
- Slice the block of tofu into thin strips, roughly the size of traditional fish sticks.
- In a shallow bowl, place the bread crumbs, seaweed, salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon pepper seasoning. In a second shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- Dip each of the tofu sticks in the liquid so that it’s fully covered and then roll it in the dry mixture so that it’s fully coated.
- Line the tofu on the prepared baking sheet and baking for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway. Cook until golden brown with a nice crispy crust.
- Let cool slightly and ENJOY!